Ossetian pies – general principles and methods of cooking
Ossetian pie is a closed pie, for the preparation of which they use dough with yeast and various fillings of potatoes, meat, cheese, beet leaves, pumpkin, fruits, cabbage, wild garlic, zucchini and others. This is a traditional dish of Caucasian cuisine, which is now complete. The right is considered part of the culture of the great nation and its pride.
The process of baking Ossetian pies can not be called difficult, but it requires certain skills from the hostess. It is noteworthy that in Ossetia, baking such pies has always been considered exclusively a women’s business. Pies with a thin layer of dough and a rich, juicy filling are considered good, successful. Pies with a thick layer of dough issued in Ossetia or inexperienced, or just a clumsy housewife.
If we talk about the general principles and technology of cooking Ossetian pies, they are the same throughout Ossetia and we will tell about them directly in the recipes. Although, of course, every housewife has her own secrets for making Ossetian pies. From the general rules it can be noted that the volume of the dough in such a pie should be equal to the volume of the filling. In addition, the dough for Ossetian pies is cut without a rolling pin, only with the help of hands. Maybe that’s why they are so delicious and very home-made? Ossetian pies are also good, because if the pie is not eaten at once, then it can warm up again and this will not affect its taste in any way.
As we said, traditional Ossetian pies can have many different fillings, but they are made in a strange amount of oven, unless it is a funeral or a funeral.
Ossetian pies – cooking
For the successful preparation of Ossetian pies, good quality flour is of great importance, only under this condition you get a soft and fluffy dough. The flour should be sifted several times so that it is saturated with oxygen and the dough is suitable. Most recipes for Ossetian pies use cheese. Of course, according to the classic recipe, you should use Ossetian cheese, but instead you can take cheese, feta, Adyghe or other sour cheese. Either cut into small pieces or crush in a blender.
Stuffing for fydchina, Ossetian meat pie, usually beef. Before, the meat was cut into very small pieces, but now you can just run it through a meat grinder.
As for the other numerous components of fillings for Ossetian pies, in particular vegetable pies, they are prepared in the same way as for other pies: cleaned, washed, finely chopped and, if required by prescription, stewed or fried in sunflower oil.
Ossetian pies – the best recipes
Recipe 1: Ossetian pies with potatoes
As a filling for this cake you can use only potatoes, but if you add it with sour cheese or cheese, the dish will be more juicy and fragrant. Ossetian pies with such a filling are called potato and they are among the most popular.
for the test:
1 kg of flour;
700 g of milk;
100 g cream;
50 g. Sunflower oil
50 g of yeast (dry);
1 tsp Sahara;
to taste the salt.
1 kg of potatoes;
150 grams of cheese or sour cheese;
to taste the salt.
- Mix the flour with the yeast, salt and sugar, pour in warm milk, knead the dough and, putting it warm, wait until the dough rises. Then crush it, mix well and keep warm for another forty minutes.
- While the dough is rising, boil the potatoes and mash. Then mix it with grated yellow cheese, sour cream, butter, salt, if necessary and mix the filling well.
- Divide the dough into equal pieces (the size of a fist), from each form a cake.
- Placing the filling in the middle of the cake, gather the dough on it with a bag and pinch it. Then, lightly patting it with your palm, flatten the resulting cake into a flat cake. Then carefully turn it over and also flatten the second side. You need to leave a small hole in the center of the resulting cake so that the steam can come out. 5. After transferring the cake to a baking tray, spread it with egg and bake for about 20 minutes, after cooking grease with butter.
Recipe 2: Ossetian meat pies
Ossetian meat pie, Fidchin, is considered one of the most festive Ossetian dishes. When preparing it, it is important to make sure that the stuffing is neither greasy nor lean, then it will be juicy and unusually tasty.
for the test:
500 g of whey or milk;
800 g of flour;
1 p. Maya (dry);
1 tsp salt and sugar;
one third cup of vegetable oil;
700 g of minced meat;
2 cloves garlic;
third cup of broth;
to taste salt, pepper.
- Cooking dough, mix 70 g of warm water with yeast, a tablespoon of flour, 1 teaspoon of sugar and place in a warm place. After foaming the yeast, mix the resulting brew with flour, warm whey and salt in a bowl, add sunflower oil at the end of the batch. Place the finished dough in the top as well